Cerca nel blog

Visualizzazioni totali

Post più popolari

domenica 7 luglio 2013

DARREN WESTLEY 'S LIZARDS - From Great Britain


Here is the questionnaire from Darren Westley. 
I attach some photographs of Darren Westley's 2013 birds, together  with the father of his best birds - a 2011 silver cock.  I hope you enjoy it.


Silver cock 2011
 
 
 

Please tell us how you started with Lizard canaries.

 I first got involved with Lizard canaries when I was 12 years old.  I started again three years ago with birds from Huw Evans and Brian Garner (who also had birds from Huw), so the birds were related, and produced Lizards of consistent quality when I paired them together.

 Please tell us about your accommodation, and how you adapt it for the special needs of Lizard canaries. 

 All my show birds are kept in single cages.  I transfer them to large flight cages after the show season.  I have two bird sheds with no heating or artificial lighting, and the birds get plenty of fresh air.  I think that Lizards stay in better health if they are kept under natural conditions.

 Please tell us about your feeding and management, and how you cater for the special needs of Lizard canaries. 

My management follows very traditional methods.  They are similar to the methods described in books on the Lizard canary over 100 years ago.

 Please tell us about your breeding system.  How many young birds do you aim to produce in a typical season?

 All my stock is descended from just six birds, plus two outcrosses from Huw this year.  I know the blood line well, and this makes it easier to maintain an even quality.

 This year, my breeding team consisted of 8 cocks and 12 hens, and produced 55 young Lizards.  I normally start in late March and finish by mid June, although it was later this year because of the cold spring.  I breed a lot of non-caps and I like to use them for breeding because they keep the cap under control.  I breed very few birds with “run caps” (ie caps that are too long), which is a problem in many studs.

 Who has been the biggest influence on your involvement with Lizard canaries, and why?

 The people who have influenced me most are Huw Evans, Brian Garner and John Scott for the quality of their birds, their advice, and their commitment to pure-bred Lizards.

 What would you say are the strengths of your stud, and what features would you like to improve? 

 I am proud that my stud has quality in depth.  Some studs have one or two excellent birds, and a lot of mediocre birds.  The quality of my birds is very even.  I brought in two outcrosses this year to breed bigger, darker birds, and I am happy with the results.


 
What is your favourite show, and why?

  I enjoy every show that I enter.

 You won Third Best Lizard at the 2012 LCA Classic in your first year as a Champion exhibitor.  Was it a surprise?

 The Classic is the biggest Lizard show in the UK, but I was fairly confident that my birds would do well.   I also won prizes at other shows with several different birds, so I knew that I had a good show team.  I do not rely on one or two birds to do all the winning.

 What is your opinion of colour feeding?

 I like natural coloured Lizards, but I colour feed my birds because the LCA has banned natural coloured Lizards from its shows in 2013.  This is a bad rule in my opinion, because some of the best Lizard canaries in the country are not colour-fed.   Robert Bunting won a silver medal at the World Show with a natural coloured Lizard, but he is not allowed to show that bird in the UK!

 What is the best advice you could give to someone starting to breed and exhibit Lizard canaries? 

 Get your birds from a reputable breeder of pure-bred Lizard canaries, and follow his advice.  Some novices buy birds from many different breeders, but they end up with a collection of birds, not a pedigree stud.

 

TRADUZIONE DALL'INGLESE
Come hai cominciato ad allevare I Lizards?
Per prima fui coinvolto dai canarini lizard quando avevo 12 anni. Ho ricominciato da 3 anni con i lizards di H. Evans e quelli di Brian Garner (i cui lizards provengono da quelli di Hum), quindi gli uccelli sono imparentati,  

Puoi dirci dove allevi e quali accorgimenti utilizzi per soddisfare i bisogni dei tuoi lizards?

Tutti i miei uccelli da esposizione sono tenuti in gabbie singole. Ioli trasferisco in gabbie ampie dopo la stagione espositiva. Io ho due locali senza riscaldamento e senza luce artificiale, e gli uccelli hanno tanta aria fresca.Io credo che i Lizads stanno in ottima salute se sono allevati in condizioni maturali.

Ci dici come alimenti  I tuoi lizards?

Il mio modo di allevare segue i metodi classici tradizionali. Sono simili ai metodi descritti nei libri di oltre 100 anni fa. Tutti i miei uccelli derivano da sei esemplari, più due incroci di Hum questo anno. Io conosco la

Ques’anno il mio allevamento era costituito da 2 maschi e 12 femmine, ed ho prodotto 55 novelli, Io normalmente parto a marzo inoltrato e finisco a metà giugno, anche se quest’anno ho fatto più tardi a causa della fredda primavera. Io allevo moltissimi no cap e mi piace utilizzarli per l’allevamento perché tengono la calotta sotto controllo. Io allevo veramente pochi uccelli con calotta netta (calotte troppo lunghe, che è un problema in tanti allevamenti.

 Quale è stato l’allevatore che più ti ha influenzato con i lizard e pechè?

Gli allevatori che mi hanno  maggiormentre influrenzato sono Hum Evans, Brian Garner e John Scott per la qualità dei loro uccelli e per i loro consigli i loro consigli e il loro impegno per Lizards di razza pura.  

Secondo te quali sono i punti di forza del tuo allevamento e quali caratteristiche vorresti migliorare?

Sono orgoglioso nel dire che il mio allevamento ha qualità profonde.Alcuni allevamenti hanno uno o due uccelli eccellenti ed il resto uccelli mediocri.La qualità dei miei uccelli è molto uniforme. Quest’anno ho effettuato due incroci per avere uccelli più scuri e più grandi e sono felice dei risultati.

Qual’è la tua mostra preferita e perchè ?

A me piacciono tutte le mostre a cui partecipo.

Hai vinto il 3° classificato nel LCA Classic 2012, nel primo anno da campione. Sei rimasto sorpreso?                                   

The Classic  è la più grande mostra nella Gran Bretagna, ma ero abbastanza fiducioso che i miei uccelli avessero ben figurato. Ho anche vinto premi in altre mostre con diversi uccelli , quindi sapevo che avevo una buona squadra. Non faccio affidamento solo su uno o due uccelli per vincere.

Cosa pensi dell’alimentazione colorante?

A me piacciono I lizard colore natural, ma li coloro perchè la LCA  ha vietato Lizards naturali dalle sue mostre nel 2013. Questa è una cattiva regola, a mio parere, perché alcuni dei migliori canarini Lizard nel paese non sono colorati infatti  Robert Bunting ha vinto una medaglia d'argento ai Campionati del Mondo con una lizard colore  naturale, ma non gli è permesso di esporre questo  uccello nel Regno Unito!

Quale è il miglior consiglio che potresti dare a qualchuno che comincia ad allevare ed esporre i lizards?

Compra gli uccelli da un buon allevatore e segui i suoi consigli. Alcuni novizi comprano gli uccelli da più allevatori ,ma finiscono con una collezione di uccelli e non un ceppo stabile di qualità.
.
 


 

Nessun commento: